Almond Fig Semifreddo with Almond Croccante
Popular in southern Italy, semifreddo is an easy dessert perfect for summer entertaining. Frozen almond cream studded with crunchy bits of meringue and almond cookies with a layer of rich fig jam, topped with crema dolce chocolate sauce.
For the semifreddo:
- 1 jar (7-ounce) Organic 82% Raw Sicilian Almond Cream
- ¼ cup Giuseppe Fois Grand Reserve Sardinian EVOO
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, well chilled
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1 packet vanilla sugar)
- 1 cup Primo Pan Croccante Alle Mandorle, crushed
- 1 jar (8-ounce) Radici of Tuscany Fig Jam
For the topping:
- ½ cup Organic 65% Tonda Gentile Hazelnut Spread with Raw Cacao
- 1-2 tablespoons Giuseppe Fois Grand Reserve Sardinian EVOO
- 8 whole Primo Pan Croccante Alle Mandorle cookies
- Slivered almonds, toasted
- Chill a mixing bowl and whisk the attachment in the refrigerator until very cold.
- Line a 12 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Silicone molds can also be used (they do not need to be lined with plastic wrap.
- Place the almond cream in a small bowl and microwave it in 10-second increments, stirring after every 10 seconds. Heat until it is smooth and fluid, like chocolate syrup. This will take about 30-40 seconds. Stir in ¼ cup of Giuseppe Fois Grand Reserve Sardinian EVOO and set it aside; allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once the almond cream mixture is cooled, place the heavy whipping cream and confectioners sugar in the chilled bowl and beat until it forms stiff peaks. Gently fold in the vanilla and almond cream, and mix until no streaks remain (it will have a mousse-like consistency). Pour one-half of the “mousse” into the prepared loaf pan. Spread the fig jam evenly over the top, then spread the remaining whipped cream mixture over the jam and cover it with plastic wrap. Freeze the mousse for at least 1-2 hours (semifreddo can be frozen for up to 1 month).
When ready to serve, place the Organic 65% Tonda Gentile Hazelnut Spread with Raw Cacao in a small bowl and microwave in 10-second increments, until melted and smooth. Stir in the EVOO and set aside. Remove the semifreddo from the freezer, invert it onto a platter and remove the plastic wrap. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes, slice into 8 slices, and place on dessert plates. Drizzle with the chocolate hazelnut spread; top with a Croccante cookie and sprinkle with slivered almonds.