Red Wine Rice with Delicata Squash
Preparation Time: about 30- 45 minutes
This vegetarian dish is as pretty as it is delicious.
- 2 Delicata Squash, washed
- 2 tablespoons Colli Etruschi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon (or more) Casina Rossa Herbs & Salt
- 1 8.8-ounce package Fior di Maiella Riso Montepulciano
- 2 cups Montepulciano di Abruzzo (or other Italian red wine)
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut ends off squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and cut them into ½-inch half circles.
- Place squash slices on a large baking sheet and brush on all sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with Herbs & Salt.
- Roast until golden and soft on the inside, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While squash is roasting, place rice, wine, vegetable broth, and 1 teaspoon of Herbs & Salt in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. When the rice begins to boil, cover, and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes until rice is al dente (tender, but firm).
- To serve: Place a round mold (an English muffin mold works well) in the center of a plate and fill it with the rice, pat down with the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Arrange squash slices around the rice and drizzle with olive oil.
- Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano and freshly ground pepper.