Red Wine Rice with Delicata Squash
This vegetarian dish is as pretty as it is delicious.
Preparation time | about 30- 45 minutes
- 2 Delicata squash, washed
- 2 tablespoons Colli Etruschi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon (or more) Casina Rossa Herbs&Salt
- 1 8.8-ounce package Riso al Montepulciano
- 2 cups Montepulciano di Abruzzo (or other Italian red wine)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut ends off squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and cut into ½-inch half circles.
- Place squash slices on a large baking sheet and brush on all sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with Herbs&Salt.
- Roast until golden and soft on the inside, about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While squash is roasting, place rice, wine, vegetable broth, and 1 teaspoon of Herbs&Salt in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. When rice begins to boil, cover, and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes until rice is al dente (tender, but firm).
- To serve: Place a round mold (an English muffin mold works well) in the center of a plate and fill with the rice, pat down with the back of a spoon to smooth surface. Arrange squash slices around the rice and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano and freshly ground pepper.