Puréed Heirloom Ben Soup with Smoked Pepper Créme Fraîche
This simple soup made with Abruzzo Monachelle Beans has so much rich earthy flavor it’s difficult to believe it’s vegan.
- 500 g (1.1 pound) bag Fior di Maella Abruzzo Monachelle Beans
- Water for soaking beans
- 2 tablespoon Le Ferre Extra-Virgin Olive Oil with Chilli Pepper
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Piranske Soline Fior di Sale to taste
For the garnish:
Smoked Pepper Créme Fraîche* and Le Ferre Extra-Virgin Olive Oil with Chilli Pepper
- Rinse the beans in a bowl, cover with water, and let them soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the Extra-Virgin Olive Oil with Chilli Pepper in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook for 5 minutes or so, until onions are transparent, but not browned. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the beans, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves and stir in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot, and allow to gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the herb stems and bay leaves and purée the soup in a food processor, return to the pot, reheat without boiling, and season with salt. Add more broth or water for a thinner consistency.
- Serve with a dollop of Smoked Pepper Créme Fraîche and drizzle with Le Ferre Extra-Virgin Olive Oil with Chilli Pepper and top with a sprig of rosemary.
*SMOKED PEPPER CRÉME FRAÎCHE
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche**
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Michele Ferrante Smoked Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Piranske Soline Fior di Sale
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.