Inspired by the anchovies, capers and olives found in puttanesca pasta, this saucy chicken recipe is easy and filling. Serve with a crusty bread for dinner bliss.
Chicken thighs (as many as will fit in your pan, we did 5)
1 Onion, sliced
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
1 Bell pepper, sliced
Hot Italian Pepper Flakes, to taste
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup of Water, stock or red wine
1 can Crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon Tomato paste
1 teaspoon Michele Ferrante Dried Mountain Oregano
Marino Wild Harvested Salted Capers, to taste (we did about 1 tablespoon)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear, skin-side down until crispy, about 3 minutes. Flip and repeat.
- Remove from pan and sauté onions, mushrooms and bell pepper until they begin to soften.
- Add in pepper flakes and garlic.
- Lower the heat and add in liquid of your choice, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Once combined, add in oregano, capers and olives.
- Return seared chicken to pan, bring to a simmer, lower heat and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Taste sauce and adjust to liking with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread!