Makes about 1 pint
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 3/4 cup shallots, minced
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Ritrovo Selections Amarena Cherry Balsamic
- Sea salt to taste
- White pepper, optional
- Sauté the shallots in the olive oil over medium heat until shallots are transparent and just beginning to brown.
- While the shallots are cooking, place the cherries in a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped.
- When the shallots are cooked, add the cherries, lemon juice, and sugar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add the grated ginger, orange zest and the Ritrovo Selections Amarena Cherry Balsamic, continue to simmer a few minutes more until chutney is thickened.
- Add salt, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to taste. Add a pinch or two of white pepper if you want a little spice.
- Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Serve with grilled meats or aged cheeses, it’s especially good with blue cheeses.